If you want to throw an epic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Birthday Party you need food, decorations and of course the Ninja Turtles themselves!!! I decided to create Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle shell costumes for the kids to wear and play with along with some of their accessories (sward, nunchucks and ninja stars). At the end of the party each guest was able to take home their turtle shell costume to continue the fun at home as part of their treat bag. Making your own DIY Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle shell costume is not too complicated and I made up 10 or so in only a couple of hours. Here is what you need to make your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Shell Costume:
- 1 sheet Stiffened felt – I used black for the back of the shell, but you could use brown or green. The stiffened felt will help the shell keep its shape, found at my local craft store
- 1 sheet Green Felt
- 1 sheet Yellow Felt
- 1/2 inch wide Elastic – need about 24 inches
- Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
To make your turtle shell costume:
- Cut out identical large ovals from the stiffened felt and the green felt and glue them together. Make sure you glue close to the edges so your shell will stay closed.
- Using the Turtle Shell Costume pattern provided trace the turtle shell “spots” on the yellow felt and cut out. Glue to spots into the green felt to create the design on the back of the turtle shell
- Using a sewing machine sew on 2 pieces of elastic “back pack style” for the child to put their arms though. Measure how much elastic you need so that they can slip their arms in, but it is not too loose that the shell will fall off. I used 12 inches per arm. You could also try glue gunning the elastics down if you don’t have access to a sewing machine.
- And you are done! Give the turtle shell costume to you child and let them start playing!
And play they did, all the kids had so much fun and the boys still pull out their shells to “play turtles”. Stay tuned for more posts on how to make the accessories to go with the costumes as well!