It seems like it was just yesterday that I was sending Monkey off to school for the first time. Flash forward 2 years later and we are getting ready for Little Bear to go off to Junior Kindergarten. With 6 years of kindergarten straight between the 3 kids we will be pro’s at this by the time Roo heads off to school. This year I am feeling a little less prepared for back-to-school then normal. The past 2 years when Monkey started school I was off on maternity leave, but this year I am working full-time and life is chaotic at the best of times. That means when it comes time for shopping, I want as much one-stop shopping as possible and am looking for good value to help me stay on budget. One shopping trip to Giant Tiger and I put a big dent in my shopping list.
Lots of parents start to fret when it comes to what to get for back-to-school. You want to do most of your shopping before the kids head into the classrooms, but what do they need? What are you wasting your money on? Well here is my Back-To-School Shopping list for Junior Kindergarten:
Back-To-School Shopping list for Junior Kindergarten
- Indoor AND Outdoor shoes – No laces, your child needs to be able to put on and take off their own shoes. Go with Velcro, or something like this awesome Ninja Turtles slip on runners until your child has mastered tying shoes.
- Pants – Stay away from jeans if you child cannot button/unbutton them themselves. I love to pick up jogging/sport pants. They are easy to get on/off independently while at school
- Shirts – Go for comfort, kindergarten has lots of movement and play. Make sure your kids will be comfortable in their clothing
- Hoodie – Perfect for layering up over t-shirts during the Spring and Fall.
- Jacket/Snow pants
- Hats – Pick up extras so you are not in a panic in the morning when trying to get out the door for school
- Mitts – I buy several identical sets of mitts, so if you lose a mitt or two you still have matches
- Backpack – We went with a regular size backpack, I know it might look large on your JK, but you don’t have to fill it. Plus it gives you room to pack an extra change of clothes and lunch
- Lunch box – Get a lunch box that is large enough to fit everything. Once you get a sandwich, a few snacks and an ice pack you would be surprised at how much space that takes up.
- Water bottle/Lunch Containers – Choose container that your child can open themselves to make lunch and snack time less stressful for your child
- Tissue – While you might not need this at the beginning of the year, come winter time it is a good idea to have some small packages of tissue to send in your child’s bag for runny noses.
- Labels – Seriously, label EVERYTHING. Makes it so much easier to get back hats, water bottles, and even shoes when they are labeled
You may have noticed the lack of school supplies on my back-to-school shopping list for Junior Kindergarten, and that is because at this stage your child is going to need very few actual school supplies. Paper, crayons, markers etc will likely all be supplied by the school. If you don’t have any arts & craft supplies at home, then maybe pick up some so your child can practice skills like drawing shapes or cutting paper with scissors at home. But don’t go overboard with the markers just yet, at this stage enjoy the fact that you don’t need binders, rulers or calculators yet. Instead I had some fun shopping for back-to-school clothes at Giant Tiger with the boys.
This season Giant Tiger has added 3 new exclusive lines to their collection of children’s clothing just in time for school. Monkey Bars offers trendy and durable clothes for boys and girls in sizes 2T-6X, Bella & Birdie features hip girls’ fashions in sizes 7-14 and Survival Gear boasts stylish boys’ fashions for sizes 8-16.
And with the Happiness Guarantee that covers the kids line if you not completely satisfied with your clothing (doesn’t matter if they have outgrown, outlasted or simply changed their minds) return it along with the receipt for a full refund. How that is a guarantee I can get excited about.
Moms will appreciate the reasonable prices while kids love shopping the large selection of styles at Giant Tiger. You can check out more back-to-school fashions on Giant Tiger’s Facebook page, on Twitter at @GTboutique and Instagram at @GiantTigerStore.
Make sure you join the Giant Tiger #GTBack2School Twitter party on Aug 18th at 9pm EST for the chance to win some great prizes! CLICK HERE to RSVP!
Did I miss anything on the Back-To-School Shopping list for Junior Kindergarten? What are your” must haves” when shopping for back-to-school?
Disclosure: I am participating in the Giant Tiger campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.