I enjoy hosting a party every now and then, especially during the holidays. Yes, it can be intimidating to prepare your home for guests, but with a few pointers, you can make entertaining easy and stress free. As you may or may not know, we host Christmas Eve every year at our house and while the first year was very difficult, I have created a list of steps to follow that make preparation a breeze. Not only does this process work great for holiday parties, it works for other events all year round! So whether you are planning a dinner party, birthday party, social gathering or holiday dinner, use these pointers to make entertaining easy!
There are a few things to keep in mind when preparing to entertain. Cleaning and what you are serving are likely top of the list, but theme and not forgetting about yourself can be equally important! Let’s do a break down on each and see how to make Entertaining Easy with a Few Simple Steps.
Entertaining Made Easy
Step 1 – Cleaning
- Start with a plan, do one area a day over several days if need be. It can be helpful to pretend you are a guest by entering your home and standing in your entryway. Look for items that are out of place (hats/mitts for example) and find them a “home”.
- Areas to consider spending more time on the bathrooms, guest areas, party space and entry way.
- Don’t forget about cleaning your windows and doors. It is surprising how much of a difference clean glass can make, even when you have your party at night.
- Make sure you check your linens before the day of your party. You don’t want to pull them out only to find stains right before guests arrive. Give them a quick wash and if you do find stains break out the OxiClean™Colour Shield Laundry Stain Remover. It gets tough stains out the first time, protects those vibrant colours and keeps them looking new longer.
Step 2 – Food/Drinks
- Make a list of what you will be serving before going to the store. This is a MUST for me because I tote a couple of children with me and once I get into the store…I often forget why I’m there!
- Use that same list to refer to while you are hosting your party to make sure you don’t forget to put out a dish that you worked hard to prepare.
- Perhaps serve finger foods which are easy to make and can be very filling. Another option is to make something in the crockpot, try Little Miss Kate’s Sweet Potato and Shrimp Curry Recipe, it’s simple and sure to be loved.
- Remember your theme when creating your food. Have fun labels for different dishes that correspond with your theme.
Step 3 – Theme
- If you are going to create a theme do it well in advance, this will help with props you may need.
- Remember, a theme doesn’t have to be something elaborate, it could be something as simple as using a colour scheme throughout. If it’s a Christmas event, consider using traditional colours to brighten your table and home. Or go with plum and teal to create an elegant feel.
- Small items go a long way! A table center piece, throw pillows, window hanging or banner could be all that’s needed.
- Don’t be afraid to use paper plates and plastic cutlery, these come a variety of colours and can help add to your theme.
Step 4 – Yourself!
- Try not to forget about yourself after planning the amazing event!
- Choose your outfit in advance to be sure it’s party ready. This includes any accessories you might want to add such as jewelry or scarves. There is nothing worse then rushing around to get ready and then panicking about what you are going to wear to the party.
- Consider painting your nails, this can be a fun way to dress-up and can even be tied into your theme!!
- You’ll likely be all smiles during your party, so don’t forget to take care of your pearly whites. Try using Arm & Hammer™ Truly Radiant™ Clean & Fresh Toothpaste and Spinbrush Battery Toothbrush.
Hopefully these steps will help make entertaining easier for you! Just remember to break things down and give yourself enough time to plan and shop. If you need help, ask for it. There are always family or friends willing to pitch in with cleaning or decorating. You could even do a pot-luck style party, that way you won’t be the only one responsible for making the food. Above all, enjoy your company and try not to stress!!
Disclosure: I am part of the Church & Dwight ambassador program. All options are strictly my own.