Summer holidays are right around the corner and for some that means the kids will be home, 7 days a week. There may be breaks with summer camp and programs to keep them occupied, but for the days you and your children are home together it’s nice to have a few ideas flowing. So, don’t let panic creep in, read these 5 tips on how to survive summer holidays with kids at home.
- Plan day trips. This could mean going to the African Lion Safari, a water park, Niagara Falls or Canada’s Wonderland. Day trips are fun and keep your children entertained. If they are a little older, you can tell them a day or two in advance that you will be going to give them something to look forward to (not recommended for younger children, or those that can’t wait!).
- Get outside. If you live in Canada you know that every day without the cold is a great one. So, get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather while it lasts. Allow your kids to get dirty, play in the sand and roll in the grass. Yes, there will be lots of laundry, lots of tough stains but it’s worth it. Clothes can always be washed, I use Arm & Hammer Plus OxiClean Cold Water Power Paks. It’s a great product that I trust to make my kids clothes looking as good as new! This way playing outside is not a worry for me.
- Have fun in the kitchen. Prepare for a picnic at the local playground or splash pad. Make some yummy treats such as these Chocolate and Peanut Butter Snack Bites. These are delicious, your kids will love making them…and eating them! Baking for picnics can be done the day before (making two days worth of activities).
- Keep your routine. If you have a routine, try to stick with it for the most part. Even though the days are longer and there is more excitement in the summer, try to stay with your regular routine. This becomes important when considering dental health. Summer tends to bring tons of opportunity for sugary snacks and this can wreak havoc for your kid’s teeth. Be sure they (and you) are brushing teeth twice (or more) daily!! Don’t let a late night interrupt this important routine! It might not be fun for them, but it is very important. Try Arm & Hammer Kid’s Spinbrush and Orajel Fluoride and Fluoride-Free Toothpastes they taste great and they come in popular characters such as My Litle Pony, Mario, and Paw Patrol!
- Involve them in everyday tasks. As boring as it is for you, cleaning can be very exciting for your children. It gives them a purpose and they can feel proud of the accomplishment. When the weather is not nice outside or you have nothing planned, break out the vacuum, duster and cloths, you might be surprised to see how excited your kids can get.
I hope you enjoy this summer! Soak up the sun and keep your kids happy and healthy. Summer will be gone before we know it!
Disclosure: I am part of the Church & Dwight ambassador program. All options are strictly my own.