I love being a mom. I really do. But sometimes I just need a break. I can tell when I am starting to get over tired or over stressed. Little things that normally do not bother me, start to agitate me. It is not good for my kids to have a stressed out mom and it is not good for me. I am on maternity leave so I am always with at least one of the kids, so it is not realistic for me to leave for a night or to have a spa day. Thank goodness I have found a few easy ways to take the breaks I need without disrupting my kids routine.
5 Ways For Mom To Take A Break
1. Take a bath. This may seem like an obvious suggestion but it is my favourite way to unwind. I like to read or bring the iPad into the bathroom and watch a movie on Netflix. Just be careful if you bring electronics into the bathroom, you never want to get them wet.
2. Read my favourite blogs. I have a few blogs that I love to follow. When I am feeling really overwhelmed I like to take 5 minutes to check to see if there are any new posts. Bonus – this takes very little time. I do not have to wait until Hubs is home or the kids are asleep to take a few minutes of ‘me’ time.
3. Do something silly. When I am in a funk sometimes I just have to do something silly. Take a break from reality for a moment. Leave the dishes and put an old song on and dance like crazy. The kids will also enjoy this type of break, and it is good to get everyone moving.
4. Indulge (a little). Can’t get away from the kids? Bring them, and an iPad with you to Starbucks. Hook them up with a game or movie (there is free wifi) and grab yourself a coffee and pastry and just take a moment to decompress. Have you tried the new La Boulange Bakery pastries at Starbucks? They are delicious, I escpecially liked the Cranberry Orange Buttermilk Scone. When it was warmed up it melted in my mouth!
5. Do something active. Some people like to run, others like to pop in a Yoga DVD, or head to a gym class. Do something that makes you feel good in your body. It can be hard as moms to feel great about our bodies (especially after a baby). By moving and taking part in a physical activity you will get the break you need but also get more comfortable in your own body. The hardest part is getting out the door, but is is always worth it.
It is the little things that can make the biggest difference. Next time you are feeling stressed out take a breath and follow one of the suggestions above.
Did I miss anything? What is your favourite way to unwind?
Starbucks Canada wants to help you indulge! Enter to WIN 1 of 5 $10 Starbucks Gift Cards
Open to Canada Only. Ends April 30, 2015. Enter via the giveaway form below
Disclousre: This post was brought to you by Starbucks Canada. All opinions are strictly my own.