When you are pregnant there are lots of resources to talk to you about the changes your body will go through – books, websites, stories from friends. But after you actually have the baby, the focus is all on how to take care of baby, feed baby, and putt baby to sleep. What about mom? Having kids is such a pain in the back – literally! Yes you may not be carrying the baby inside any more, but now you are lugging around heavy car seats, not to mention lifting your 7-10lbs baby what feels like a million times a day. All of this puts stress and can cause damage to your back if you are not taking proper precautions. And Moms just don’t have time for sore backs!
Monkey may have started out as a little preemie, but by the time he was 1 year old he was well over 22lbs. Little Bear is not so little any more that is for sure, he is a solid 31lbs at 21 months and still wants to be “uppa” a lot of the time. To say my arms and back have gotten a good workout over the last few years is an understatement for sure! Running after, and carrying 2 (soon to be 3!) little ones it is a difficult balancing act to keep stress off my spine. Chiropractors commonly see new moms with dealing with postpartum back pain and can offer treatments and tips on how you can reduce stress on your back. Here are a few tips on how to pack your diaper bag from the Ontario Chiropractic Association:
- Choose a bag that is proportionate to your body size, your diaper bag should not weigh more than 10% of your body weight
- Choose a diaper bag that has several individual pockets instead of one large compartment – this will help to distribute the weight and keep it from shifting
- Consider having a small diaper bag for quick trips out with only the bare essentials. Saving lugging a big diaper bag around for when you really need it
- Try alternating which side you carry your diaper bag/baby on to reduce repetitive stress on one side of your body
- Stand tall – square your shoulders, don’t raise them up to keep the strap of your diaper bag from slipping. When you are standing your head, shoulders, hips and ankles should all line-up
Enter to WIN Back Health Prize Pack for New Moms ($100 value)!
The prize pack will include a baby-and-me yoga video, a portable foot massager, an exercise ball, an active heat wrap for back pain, and of course, a new diaper bag for all the goodies to go in.
Ends Sept 9, 2014. Open to Canada only. Enter via the Giveaway Tools form below.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. All opinions are strictly my own.