When you think of family dinners what image comes to mind? For me it’s sitting at the table with everyone eating, laughing and sharing stories. Now, when you think of what you are eating, what do you think of? When I asked by friends this question the majority of them said – beef! The dish in their mind was either steak, roast or hamburgers and I believe it’s because Canadian Beef brings family’s together. It’s not surprising why, the best family dinners usually happen on the weekend when you can get everyone participating together, and the best meals usually include beef. Dinners made during the week are faster, easier and suited to fit the picky eaters. But the weekends…they are when we take the time to make delicious dinners created together, and these family meals are usually made with Canadian Beef. For us, it’s beef in the crock pot in the winter and my husband’s amazing burger recipe on the barbecue in the summer!
As you may know, Bee is always eager to help in the kitchen, so she is usually helping me make the salad, potatoes or both. She usually watches her Dad make the hamburgers because she’s not into touching uncooked meat yet as it’s “yucky” (she may get this from me). It’s so nice when we can all get involved with dinner, I feel like every time we are in the kitchen together we are creating memories. I remember cooking with my mom when I was a little girl and watching my dad on the barbecue and I’m so happy to be able pass these traditions to our daughters (soon WeeBee will be old enough to participate). And while cooking together is fun, bringing your family back to the table is important.
The ingredients for the burgers are pretty basic, the main one of course is the ground beef. We always choose Canadian Beef for a number of reasons, which I’ll highlight soon. The other ingredients include an egg (we only use egg whites in our burgers), bread crumbs, salsa, a little bit of ketchup and some Montreal Steak Spice (which as a side note, we cannot live without on our steaks). Basically you just mix all these ingredients together, mold the beef into burger patties and pop them on the barbecue!
Take a look at my husbands easy Canadian Beef Hamburger Recipe
Bringing Families Back to the Dinner Table with Canadian Beef!
Author: Little Miss Kate
Recipe type: Main Meal
Mouth watering hamburgers full of flavour!
- 2lbs extra lean Canadian ground beef
- egg (we use just the egg whites)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup salsa
- Montreal Steak spice to taste
- Hamburger buns
- Desired toppings
- Heat barbecue to medium heat
- Place ground beef into a large mixing bowl add egg whites, bread crumbs, salsa and steak spice. Mix until well blended; shape into desired size patties. Usually will make about 6 (1/2 inch thick) patties.
- Place patties on the barbecue. Grill 5 to 6 min. on each side or until burgers are done (160°F)
- Meanwhile toast hamburger buns lightly
- Top as desired (ketchup, mustard, relish, cheese, lettuce, tomato)
So, why Canadian Beef? Here are a couple of interesting facts:
- Canadians enjoy around 930K tonnes of beef a year
- Canada is the 8th largest exporter of beef in the world.
- A caring and effective government capable of ensuring the highest standards of quality and safety, and with sophisticated and enlightened trade policies
- A society with a deep appreciation for agriculture, animals, nature and sustainability
- People who are caring, ethical, hardworking and always open to innovation
A heritage of hardworking ranching and farming families that is part of the nation’s culture
See more facts, recipes a more at Canadian Beef.ca. Or, if you love these beef hamburgers you’ll have to try this No Limits BBQ Bacon Burger Topper Recipe, it’s the perfect compliment! I hope you enjoy your family dinner time, what recipes bring your family together?
Disclaimer: This post is a part of the #makeitCDNbeef influencer program. All opinions are my own. Beef facts provided by Canadian Beef.