I knew when I had kids my grocery bill would go up once they started eating food. What I didn’t count on is how much it would go up and how fast. The boys LOVE their food and seem to be bottomless pits at times. By the time Monkey was 2 years old he would often eat the same amount as me for dinner! With the cost of food going up and need to cook more our average grocery bill was up 40-50% in just 1 year… Ouch! And it doesn’t help that Hubs has expensive taste too, he would eat steak every night if I let him. Coming up with ways to stretch our grocery budget without compromising on taste and quality has had me trying out new recipes to find things that everyone will enjoy without breaking the bank. I know we will be making easy Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Sandwiches again as they were simple to make, budget friendly and everyone loved them.
I adapted the recipe form the Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Burritos from the Walmart Recipe Centre. I was able to get all the ingredients in the grocery section of Walmart including the 100% Canadian Angus Beef. The Shredded Beef was the perfect combination of saucy beefy goodness to satisfy my carnivores that they all wanted seconds.
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 lbs Boneless beef brisket [or flank steak], trimmed
- 2 Bell Pepper. chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 jar (630 mL) Ragu® Tomato & Basil Light
- 1 Knorr® Beef Bouillon Cube
- 3 Clove Garlic, chopped
- 6-8 Italian Buns
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat and brown brisket or steak. Remove brisket and place in slow cooker.
- Cook peppers, onion and garlic in same pan, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in Pasta Sauce and Knorr® Beef Bouillon Cube.
- Cook covered on high 4 - 6 hours or low 8 -10 hours or until brisket is fork-tender. Remove brisket from sauce; cool slightly, then shred with two forks. Return to sauce and stir
- Serve on fresh Italian Buns with toppings such as guacamole, shredded cheese, sour cream or your favourite toppings.
Need to stretch your grocery dollar and want to buy 100% Canadian protein, like Beef, Chicken or Pork? Then visit the grocery section of your local Walmart Store to see the great selection that they offer. I loved that they had an assortment of beef products ready to go to make meal preparation even faster like the Beef Stir Fry Strips.
I know that we will be making this shredded beef recipe again soon and you could do do many variations of it by adding to it. I think next time I might add in some corn and rice and serve on wraps. Gotta love meals that the family enjoys and are simple to make!