Right now I am taking part in a weight loss challenge with my local Momstown group. It is a fun way to motivate each other and share ideas for healthy meals so that together we can all lose some weigh and eat better. For this challenge we need to lose 6% of our body weight in 6 weeks. Not a small task for someone who loves chocolate as much as I do, but I am up for making small changes in my diet that will make a big impact on the scale. Kraft Canada had some amazing meals under 500 calories that are simple to make and the whole family loved. It is nearly impossible to make lifestyle changes if your family is not on board with changing their habits too. Luckily with these recipes you can cut some calories without cutting the flavour. We had the tasty BBQ Beef Tacos this week and the whole family enjoyed the BBQ twist on one of our favourite meals.
The kids love getting involved in making dinner by adding in their own toppings so it is a win/win for everyone. Give this healthy dinner idea a try tonight:
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 Red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 lb. Extra-lean ground beef
- ½ cup Kraft Original BBQ Sauce
- 8 small whole wheat tortillas
- ½ cup Salsa
- ¼ cup Kraft Tex Mex Light Shredded Cheese
- In a large non-stick skillet cook onions and peppers on medium heat for 10 mins until onions are starting to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Remove onions and peppers from skillet and brown ground beef until cooked thoroughly. Drain any excess fat from meat if required
- Stir in BBQ sauce to the meat and cook for 2 mins until it is heated trhough
- Spoon meat mixture into tortilla shells
- Top with onions, peppers, salsa and cheese
Get creative with the toppings for your BBQ Beef Tacos – try adding in black beans, corn, lettuce, diced tomatoes or avocado. We also change it up now and then and use hard taco shells as well. Just don’t go overboard with cheese or sour cream, as you want to keep this meal on the healthy side. Looking for other delicious healthy dinner ideas check out Bruschetta Chicken Skillet or Sweet & Sour Pork.
Disclosure: I am part of the Kraft’s Whats Cooking ambassador program. All opinions are strictly my own.