Having 2 kids is busy, so the thought of having 3 children age 4 and under made me a little worried. How was I going to get everything done – laundry, getting lunches made, and dinner on the table. Yikes! That is one reason I try to have some “Made Ahead Meals” in my freezer ready to go for those days when cooking just seems impossible. Stocked with freezer meals that are an easy, healthy option to pull out on those nights helps me to make sure that my family is eating well even if I don’t have the time to cook. Here is one of my favourite Make Ahead Meals: Easy Chili Recipe
- 1 can (540mL) Black Beans, drained
- 1 can (540mL) Red Kidney Beans, drained
- 1 can (341mL) Corn, drained
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 lb Ground Beef (or 2lbs if you like your chili really meaty)
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 can (794 mL) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 jar (640mL) Pasta Sauce
- 2-3 tbsp Chili Powder, depending on taste
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic together in a frying pan. Drain any excess fat.
- Place beef mixture, and all other ingredients into a slow cooker or larger pot. Stir to combine
- Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours stirring occasionally.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
Once cooked allow to cool and dived up into freezer safe containers – and viola you have dinners ready to go! Freeze the Chili and when you are in need of a quick dinner take out a portion from the freeze and thaw in the microwave or on a pot on the stove over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until warmed though (about 45 minutes – 1 hour depending on how large the portion is). Serve with a side of rice, Italian bread or salad and dinner is DONE!
The best part about this easy chili recipe is that you can customize it to suit your tastes. Don’t like corn? Skip it and add peas instead. “Hide” extra vegetables in the chili like zucchini or egg plant by grading them up and adding them in. With a freeze stash of make ahead meals you can pretend you are a super mom even on the days you are exhausted!