I have started a tradition with my kids to ask them what they are thankful for every day. It only takes a moment but helps them to realize that we are very lucky for all the things we are blessed with, and to celebrate the small things every day. The first time I asked Little Bear who was almost 3 at the time what he was thankful for, his answer was “Waffles”. Well this year I am going to surprise him with a special Valentine’s Day Breakfast with this Red Velvet Waffle Recipe.
If you have been reading Little Miss Kate for a while you know we love waffles including Brown Sugar Bacon Waffles and the Great Canadian Waffle and I am excited to present this special Valentines breakfast to the kids this year. And take note, Valentine’s day is on Sunday this year so you will have some time to create a fun breakfast for the family.
Red Velvet Waffle Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp white distilled vinegar
- Red food coloring
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl and then set aside.
- Spray the waffle maker with cooking spray while its preheating.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, buttermilk, butter, vanilla, and vinegar on low speed until combined.
- Add several drops of red food coloring
- Pour milk mixture into dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Cook waffles according to your waffle iron and size.
Cream Cheese Glaze
6 oz cream cheese, softened
6 tbs butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup whole milk
Directions for the glaze:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar
- Add in the milk and vanilla.
- Pour the batter into a squeeze bottle.
To plate the waffles like we did cut the waffles into fours. Stack the Red Velvet Waffles on a plate and drizzle with the cream cheese glaze. Finish off with a sprinkle of confetti candy hears and a dollop of whipped cream.
I hope you have a wonderful Valentine’s day and take advantage that it falls on a weekend this year by making a special Valentine’s Day Breakfast with this Red Velvet Waffle Recipe.