Moms (and Dads) are busy people. We are always running to pick someone up, drop someone off, get the chores done and trying to keep the house in working order. Planning ahead for healthy meals can get pushed to the back burner, and then you realized you and the kids are hungry… NOW. So what are some quick easy healthy snacks that you can come up with on a moments notice?
Rather than reaching for the unhealthy snacks like cookies or chips, or heading out the door for fast food – why not grab a healthy snack to help curb your hunger. Here are some ideas:
- Low fat cheese wedges – I love the La Crème Cowspreadable cheese, they taste great and are easy to spread on everything from crackers to toast
- Fruit – when you are grocery shopping pick up some berries or bananas to have around the house, don’t worry about having too many, if you haven’t used them up toss them in the freezer just before they go bad to be used in baking muffins or pancakes
- Peanut butter and Banana roll up on a whole wheat tortilla
- Trail Mix – Nuts and dried fruit mixed with a whole grain cereal (like multigrain cheerios)
- Hummus – easy to make and goes great with baby carrots or whole wheat pita
- Oatmeal – Pick up a box of plain instant oatmeal and top with almonds or berries, if you need a little sweetness add a little honey or brown sugar
We are now half way through the smartest loser challenge at work. And I am happy to stay after a slow start I am now seeing some results! The pants that were falling down on me last August are starting to feel loose again, and the scale says I am down 5 lbs! I am super excited about this progress, and hope it will help keep me motivated for next 6 weeks.
What are you favourite quick healthy snacks? How do you fit in healthy choices into your hectic schedule?