The key to successful mornings at our house is being able to grab a quick and tasty breakfast that everyone enjoys. For us that usually means homemade muffins or Banana Bread that I make in large batches on the weekends and then freeze to eat over the next few weeks. I love my sleep and will hit the snooze button until the very last second, leaving me exactly 10 minutes to make, eat and tidy up after my breakfast. Having something prepared ahead of time takes a lot of stress out of our morning routine. And since I am up and gone before Hubs and the boys get out of bed I know he appreciates being able to serve up a quick breakfast of a slice of banana bread and a side of fruit. This month we decided to test out 2 new Banana Bread Recipes from Kraft Canada: Banana-Bran Bread and “Favourite” Banana Bread.It doesn’t take long to make Banana Bread, and it is a great choice to get the kids involved in the kitchen – banana mashing is a perfect job for little ones. I was interested to try the Banana-Bran Bread is it incorporates a Bran cereal into the bread. Would the kids like it? Would the cereal still be crunchy? I used an All-Bran cereal that had cranberries in it and was impressed by the flavours of the Banana-Bran Bread. The cereal blends in perfectly to the bread, not crunchy at all, and the cranberries offered a sweet surprise.I have to say that the “Favorite” Banana Bread Recipe really lived up to its name. This Banana Bread is so moist even after freezing, I know I will be making it again. I made a few little adjustments to the recipe to use some whole wheat flour, opted out of the nuts and added in some chocolate chips. Here is what we created:
- 1 pkg. (250 g) Philadelphia Cream Cheese , softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup White flour
- 1-1/4 cups Whole Wheat flour
- ¼ cup Ground Flax seed (optional)
- 1-1/2 tsp. Magic Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- With an electric mixer beat together cream cheese, butter and sugar in a large bowl until blended.
- Add in bananas and eggs, mix well
- Combine dry ingredients, and add to wet mixture. Stir until just moistened.
- Pour into greased 9x5" loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Allow to cool before slicing
Do you love Banana Bread as much as the Little Miss Kate household? Check out some of the delicious Kraft Canada Banana Bread Recipes and celebrate on Banana Bread Day on February 23 (yes it is so good, it has its own day!).
Disclosure: I am part of the Kraft’s Whats Cooking ambassador program. All opinions are strictly my own.