July is here, the kids are out of school and now parents are tasked with the challenge of keeping kids busy all summer long! 8 weeks of “I’m bored…” and “There’s nothing to do…” Eek, that is enough o make any parent run for the hills! But not to worry here is a list of simple and inexpensive ideas to help keep the kids busy this summer, so that you can all have fun and not break the bank in the process!
Inexpensive Ideas to Keep Kids Busy This Summer
- Picnic – Pack a picnic to take to the park. Get the kids involved in the preparation, and packing of the food. Sandwiches, cheese & Crackers, fruits & Veggies and of course some water to keep everyone hydrated. Turn your picnic into a grand adventure by packing everything in a backpack and taking a bike ride along a local trail first. A perfect way to work up an appetite on your way!
- Open a Pizzeria – Let the kids create and cook their own English Muffin Pizzas. Build it into a fun activity by having them create menus with the options of toppings and taking everyone’s order. Cut English muffins in half, top with tomato sauce, pepperoni, cheese and what ever other toppings the kids enjoy. Cook in the toaster oven or regular oven for 5-10 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Hide & Seek Treasure Hunt – On rainy days when you can’t get outside to play it does not mean you need to be sitting around all day! Have the kids collect a bunch of small toys and other treasures that you can hide around the house. Make a list of everything before you hide them and then take 5 minutes to had them all over the house. I like to include a couple of my own surprises with the treasures… Kinder Eggs! The send the kids out to hunt for the treasures.. they won’t be disappointed!
- Camp out – No need to go far for camping, set up a tent in your backyard for lots of summer fun. Not only will the tent offer extra shade and a fun place to play, but if you are feeling really adventurous plan to spend the night outside and have the kids prepare and pack a bag for their adventure!
- Get Cool – Need to beat the summer heat? Get everyone into their bathing suits and enjoy an afternoon at your local splash pad or in your own backyard in a mini pool or sprinkler.
What are your favourite Inexpensive Ideas to Keep Kids Busy This Summer? Share your suggestions in the comments section and lets all have a fun and whine-free summer!
Disclosure: I’m part of the Kinder® Mom program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own