|Yes this is really my “Office” aka the dumping ground|
With Baby #2 on the way these are 2 areas we would like to get organized before we are even more sleep deprived then we are now. Here are my tips for helping you to clean and get organized:
- Time – Set aside a chunk of dedicated time for cleaning. I am not talking about a whole weekend of scrubbing and sorting, since in the summer time there are rarely weekends that you have nothing going on. How about 1-2 hrs per week for the next 4 weeks? Set a timer, this is still enough time to get something accomplished, and will help keep you motivated as you know you do not need to complete the whole job at once
- List – Make a list of tasks that need to be done and prioritize them. Break down a big job into smaller more manageable tasks that can be completed in the time slots you have set aside. Suddenly “Organize the office” becomes: file bills that have been paid, go through book collection and pick half to donate, put loose photos into albums. As you complete each task cross it off your list, nothing makes you feel better (or helps keep you motivated) like taking things off your to do list.
- Sort – When sorting and organizing make 3 groups of stuff: Keep, Donate and Toss. Find out where you closest donation centre is for Good Will, Salvation Army etc. Or if you can’t drop off your items many areas have groups that will come and pick UP from you. Give them a call to schedule a pick up.
- Gets worse before it gets better – Know that as you make your way through your project, it may start to look worse before it gets better. You might need to make a bit of a mess while sorting in order to make some progress. But in the end it will be worth it
- Celebrate – Make sure you celebrate your accomplishments! Of course not by postponing your next cleaning session, but maybe head out the store and buy that cute storage basket you have had your eye on.