Canada day is fast approaching and once again I am talking part in The Great Canadian Blog Bash. A celebration of all types of Canadian Blogs. This will be my third year participating, you can find my pasts posts here from year 1 and year 2. This time around I thought I would share some Fun Canada Facts with you. Perfect for sharing at your Canada Day BBQ to show off your knowledge of this great country!
- Mount Logan in the Yukon is Canada’s tallest peak at 6050m above sea level
- The Mackenzie River is Canada’s longest river, flowing through over 4240km in the NWT
- Ottawa, Canada’s Capital, had the coldest average temperature of any capital city in the world
- Alert, in Nunavut territory, is the northernmost permanent settlement in the world
- Canadians have made many important inventions, including insulin, the IMAX film system, the electron microscope, the electronic organ and Kerosene
- The Blackberry smartphone was developed in Ontario, take that iPhone!
- However Canadian love affair with phones goes all they way back to the 1870’s when Alexander Graham Bell, a Canadian Inventor, developed the telephone
- Canadians consume more Macaroni and Cheese then any other nation
- The average Canadian eats more then 23 lbs of cheese per year, with cheddar being the more popular variety
- Canada produces 80% of the worlds pure Maple Syrup – over 2600 maple producers set our 1.3 million taps in Ontario
- The Moosehead Brewery in Saint John, New Brunswick, turns out 1,642 bottles of beer per minute
- Even though hockey is the most popular sport in Canada, Canada’s official sport was lacrosse up until 1994 when lacrosse was recognized as the official summer sport and hockey the official winter sport
- The Hotel de Glace in Quebec is built every year using 400 tons of ice and 12 000 tons of snow. It melts away every summer, and it rebuilt every winter
I hope you enjoyed these Fun Canada Facts! And if you are having a Canada Day party, don’t forget to make a Canada Day cake just for the occasion!
Make sure you stop but to take part in all The Great Canadian Blog Bash Fun – check out there website for more Canadian Blogs, giveaways and more!
Happy Canada Day!