I have got a flu shot every year since 2005 – I was still in graduate school at the time, but my lab and office were located in a hospital. While I HATE needles, the thought of making a patient sick by touching the same elevator button or door handle didn’t seem fair. By protecting myself, I was helping to protect them too. Plus it didn’t hurt that they were giving out chocolate bars once you got your shot, and I am a sucker for anything chocolate. Thinking about getting your flu shot this year – here are 5 reasons to get your flu shot today
- Influenza kills – Approximately 3,500 Canadians die every year from the flu. So instead of being worried about viruses that are unlikely to ever reach our country lets focus on the preventable deaths that happen every year within our borders and work to decrease those numbers.
- Because you love Grandma and Grandpa – visiting with grandparents is such a special time, but people over the age of 65 are among those most susceptible to the flu. You or your kids may me carrying the virus without even knowing it, don’t pass it around while giving good bye hugs
- Do it for the preemies, those fighting cancer and so many more people with compromised immune systems – they have enough to deal with already without having to worry about the flu too! What may be a mild runny nose to you could lead to hospitalization for them.
- Do it for YOU – take a moment to think about how crazy life would be if you were out of the picture for a week because you were too sick. Not only would things like cooking and cleaning fall to someone else, but you could miss out on fun activities with your family because you are too sick to join them. Not only would you feel bad because you are sick, but then there is the added mom guilt of missing out or not being there. No thanks, I will pass on that and get my flu shot instead.
- Because it is easy to do – You can now get your flu shot from a pharmacist! No more taking time off and booking a doctors appointment or lining up for one of the rare flu shot clinics. Nope, now you can walk into pharmacies that offer this service and get a shot within minutes. This year I visited my local Shoppers Drug Mart to get my flu shot. All you need is your health card, it is just that simple to get protected from the flu. Pharmacists can give the flu shot to people over 5 years of age and are available to offer advice & healthcare solutions for your family throughout the cold & flu season.
I think those 5 reasons to get your flu shot are pretty convincing. And this year there are more options available for flu protection – the “flu shot” as well as the nasal flu vaccine (more on that one shortly). So even if you are a chicken about needles like me there is no reason for you not to to be fully protected from the flu this year.
In addition to help get you ready for winter we are giving away a #SDMFluFighters Prize Pack from Shoppers Drug Mart ($150 Value)!
Ends Dec 28, 2015. Open to Canada Only.
Giveaway over – thanks for entering
Do you normally get a flu shot? How do you protect yourself from the flu?
Disclosure: This post was brought to you by Shoppers Drug Mart. All opinions are strictly my own.