I can’t wait to attend the Waterloo Air Show with my family this year! I think many families have at least one airplane nut in the house – in mine there are two: a husband with a not so secret dream of being a Top Gun pilot, and a 3 year old daughter who is obsessed with airplanes of all shapes and sizes. This year’s Waterloo Air Show is a 2-day event filled with ACTION, SPEED, POWER and NOSTALGIA at the Region of Waterloo International Airport. Enjoy the show as a family to celebrate the start of summer vacation from June 28-29, 2014.
We love the air show for the thrill of watching the powerful planes and skilled pilots up close. For history buffs it’s a real treat to see the legendary military planes take to the skies. The line-up of performers includes skydivers, Canadian Forces Snowbirds, WWII Bombers, a CF-18, a MiG-15 and more! With so many different aircrafts and act it is sure to be an entertaining day, you can find the full line up here. Of course the highlight of the show is the finale performance by the legendary Snowbirds. To see these talented pilots flying their iconic planes in formation is a truly Canadian experience – and one that’s an absolute must for anyone who has never had the opportunity.
In addition to the high flying acts, you can get up close and personal with the many planes and pilots in the static ground displays. They provide a powerful glimpse into the service and sacrifice of US and Canadian Forces personnel over the last century – and what child doesn’t love a chance to sit in the cockpit of a real fighter plane with a pilot in flight gear? There are tons of activities to keep everyone entertained all day long. The show opens at 10am each day with the air show taking place from 1-4 pm.
Take time to speak to the pilots and even collect autographs from the performers. An Autograph Tent will be set up again this year, so being along something special to get signed. Or if you would like Calendars will be on dale for $5 with photos of the Pilots & Crew inside.
Looking for an extra special in-flight experience? You can pre-purchase tickets for the flight of a lifetime on the “Yankee Lady” a historic B-17 aircraft. While not in everyone’s budget, this would make a great gift for the flying enthusiast. You can find all the details about the 30 min flights, price and booking here.
After our first air show with toddler in tow we have learned some survival strategies to ensure we all enjoy the day. Here are a couple of tips for attending the Waterloo Air Show:
- Bring some money with you – While there is an ATM on site, remember to bring cash for parking ($5) and any snacks or souvenirs you want to buy. No one wants to be stuck in an ATM line up while you could be enjoying the show
- Buy your tickets online head of time – SAVE on your tickets and skip the wait at the gate
- Bring ear protection for the little ones – it can get loud with all of those planes
- Pack your hat and sunscreen (remember to re-apply!) You are at an airport so there is very little shade. You can also bring a personal umbrella if you choose, but no tents or large umbrellas are permitted.
- Bring a soft-sided cooler with plenty of water/fruit and snacks for the day
- It is a good idea to pack a blanket or folding lawn chairs to sit on to watch the show. For a toddler a an umbrella stroller with a sun shade will do triple duty to serve as easy transportation for your little one, shady resting place and a seat for the air show
- Keep in mind that parking is off-site and shuttle buses will be provided from the parking area to the air show gate – so pack and plan accordingly for your visit
Enter for your chance to WIN a Family Pass to the 2014 Waterloo Air Show!
Family pass includes admission for 2 adults and 2 Children. Ends June 13, 2014. Open to Canadian residents only. No transportation to the show provided. Enter via the Giveaway Tools form below.
A guest post by Meg – a mom of 1 spirited little girl and a dedicated elementary school teacher
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. All opinions are strictly my own.