There has been a lot of Easter talk on the blog this week, but I could not finish off the week without sharing this awesome Oreo Recipe with you. After falling in love with the LEGO cake pops I have been wanting to try other recipes where you dip your creations in chocolate. And what could be better then dipping and decorating Oreo Balls for Easter?
This recipe really only needs 3 ingredients: Oreos, cream cheese, and chocolate. It is that simple! It is best to use chocolate wafers which are made to melt at low temperatures and easy to work with. I picked up white and milk chocolate wafers for dipping and a few other colours for decorating at my local bulk barn.
Remember to melt the wafers in the microwave at 50% power for short bursts 15-30 seconds. NEVER add water or milk to the wafers it will cause them to seize, if they are too thick add a bit of oil to help thin them out. You can use fork, tooth picks or dipping tool to help you coat the Oreo balls. Tip: use a clean dry paint brush to do any “touch ups” as needed.
- 1 box of Oreo Cookies
- 1 - 8oz Package of Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 cups of white or milk chocolate wafers to coat (or some of both!)
- ¼ of coloured chocolate wafers, a variety of colours
- Place Oreos in a food processor or blender. Pulse until they become crumbs.
- Transfer to bowl and mix in cream cheese until you have a dough like consistency. You may not need all of the cream cheese, add a bit at a time and work it in.
- Take approx 1 tbsp of dough and shape into a ball, or if you wish an egg shape
- Refrigerate for 1 hr
- Melt coating chocolate on medium power in microwave, stirring frequently
- Coat balls with chocolate, placed on wax paper lined tray.
- Refrigerate for 30 mins
- Melt coloured wafers just a few at a time and use to decorate the oreo balls. Can use tooth picks or clean dry paint brushes to create designs. If chocolate starts getting hard, microwave for 15 seconds on medium power to melt it again
- Refrigerate until firm. Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Enjoy making this delicious treat with your kids, they will have a blast decorating the “Oreo Eggs”