So I have been back at work for almost two weeks, and I am going to be honest… it has not been the easiest transition. Life is BUSY, by the time I commute home and pick up the boys from day care we are all exhausted and hungry. Getting dinner on the table as quickly and easily as possible is top priority. That has meant once again trying to come up with meals that are tasty, and easy to get ready on a weeknight. My slow cooker and I are becoming great friends again! There is nothing better than coming home from work to wonderful smelling house and a dinner that is ready to serve. Not only does it help save my sanity, it means I also have more time to spend with the kids in the evening.
Last week we tried out a Slow-Cooker Chili recipe from Kraft Canada, and I am in love. You can check out their website for a great selection of chili recipes. I was able to chop, cook, and combine everything the night before, so in the morning I just turned the crock pot on and went to work. When we can home dinner was on the table within 10 minutes, and I had leftovers for lunches the next day… I was in heaven!
Want to make some yourself? Here is the recipe adapted from Kraft Canada.
Slow Cooker Chili Recipe
- 1 lbs Ground Turkey or Lean Ground Beef
- 1 can 540mL Red Kidney Beans
- 1 can 540mL Black Beans
- 2 cups of Salsa
- 1 can 399mL Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- 1 cup Kraft Tex Mex Light Shredded Cheese
- Brown Meat and Drain. Add to slow cooker with all of the remaining ingredients except the cheese. Stir well, and cover with the lid. You can refrigerate overnight if you are making ahead.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours (or on high for 3-4 hours). I knew my chili would be cooking for around 8 hours so I added 2 cups of water in the morning and it came out perfectly.
- Stir before serving. Place in serving dishes and top with cheese.
- Serve with rolls or rice and enjoy!
I am looking forward to trying out more Kraft Canada recipes to help me get dinner on weeknights without much fuss. What are your “go to” weeknight meals?
Disclosure: I am part of the Kraft’s Whats Cooking ambassador program. All opinions are strictly my own.